Friday, August 6, 2010

A Mid-Summer Night's Clean

I did a huge spring cleaning this year when I moved all my winter clothes to the storage bins and took all the summer clothes out.  I cleaned, reorganized the closets, organized the food containers and for the average bear that would be enough.  Somehow for me it wasn't... so this weekend I was inspired to do it all over again.  But first I had to get organized!  I put on my thinking cap and created a huge Excel spreadsheet broken down by room and then in the order I was going to clean.  I think it makes the most sense to clean from ceiling to floor..I can show you better than I can tell you.  Read more after the jump for a quick example.


Master Bedroom
Dust Crown Molding
Wipe walls
Clean Mirrors
Clean Windows
Wash and Iron Curtains
Vacuum Floor

I did this for every room and I got started on Friday night after work and I didn't finish until Sunday night.  I took some much needed breaks and I had the best sleep of 2010 on Saturday night but when I was done I was so pleased with myself.  Did I mention my spreadsheet had check boxes?  It was so self-gratifying to check the boxes as I went alone. (I find pleasure in the simple things in life)  I was putting off looking through papers and cleaning out our file cabinet ::insert REALLY scary music here:: Nonetheless it's done and I won't have to organize papers or closets for a really long time. By the way...Eat, Pray, Love is REALLY good.

7 comments:

  1. OH I'm going to need a copy of that spreadsheet and a bit of your energy to tackle this place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is WOW!!!!! You are better then me....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this blog!!! and that was a great idea..have to share it with some of the wives..


    from your newest follower REAL WIVES OF CHICAGO..I see one is already apart of the blog..lol. Hope you able to visit us soon
    http://realwivesofchicago.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this blog!!! Great idea!! I have to pass this along to some of the other wives.


    From your newest follower REAL WIVES OF CHICAGO http://realwivesofchicago.blogspot.com/.Hope you able to stop by soon

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and your spreadsheets! I hope they JAM your printer! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ NYSTATEOFMOM as soon as I figure out how to upload an Excel spreadsheet on this thing...I'm going to go nuts!

    @Zantay it was so necessary. I had to bite the bullet.

    @RealWives thanks for the support. I will definitely check you out.

    @SimpleeStated Printers' already broken. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your blog, especially this post. It reminds me of a post I did not too long ago. You can find it on my blog at www.learningtoenjoytherain.blogspot.com. I'm new to this blogging world also and a newlywed myself (well 2 years). Stop by and let me know what you think. I will definitely start following you too. Take care :)

    ReplyDelete